- Get started with Windows Phone
- What's new in Windows Phone 8.1
- How do I get Windows 10 Mobile?
- Windows Phone tips and tricks
- What's changed in Windows Phone 8.1
- Sync my Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Copy and paste
- Gestures: swipe, pan, and stretch
- Places to try tapping and holding
- Set up Windows Phone for kids
- Tips to help keep my phone secure
- What is the cloud?
- How do I get Windows Phone 8.1?
- How do I update my phone software?
- Make room on my phone to update it
- Solutions to update issues
- Windows Phone 8 update history
- Which version of Windows Phone do I have?
- Switch between apps
- Use Driving Mode
- Moving from Android or iPhone to Windows Phone
- Moving from Android to Windows Phone
- Moving from iPhone to Windows Phone
- How-to videos
- Feature and service availability
- Privacy resources
Solutions to update issues
Seeing a message like 801881cd, 80188265, or 801881d0 when you update your Windows Phone? When you have a problem, you can usually solve it with some basic troubleshooting—see below for what to do if you get one of these error messages. First, though, here are some things you can do to help make sure your updates go smoothly.
A few tips for easy updates
- Power up. If your battery charge is low, you may have to plug in and wait before you can finish installing your update.
- Get connected. Connect to Wi-Fi, so you'll have a better chance to quickly download updates. Or, make sure your cellular data connection shows 3G, 4G, or LTE. If you have a 2G or 2.5G (EDGE) connection, you'll be prompted for updates but won't be able download them until you have a higher cellular data connection or connect to Wi-Fi. See What do the icons on my phone mean? to learn more about the icons that appear at the top of your phone.
- Check yourself. You don't have to wait for us to tell you there's an update: in the App list, just go to Settings > Phone update, and then tap Check for updates.
- Wait a bit. Many errors are temporary. If you try again, there's a good chance the error won't repeat itself.
- Restart your phone. If your phone freezes during an update, you can restart your phone to get your update back on track.
- Make way. If your phone's storage space is maxed out with apps and all of your media, remove some files that you can do without.
|Error code||What it means||What you can do|
You don't have enough storage space on your phone to install the update.
Remove some media files (videos, music, and photos) or apps to make room for the update. The Update Advisor app can also help you free up storage space by selecting files to move to an SD card or OneDrive, and then help you restore those files when the update is done. You can connect to your computer and move your media files there, and you can always reinstall apps from the Store. Keep in mind that deleting an app, even temporarily, will erase app data, such as saved progress in a game.
The Windows Phone app can also help you get updates when your phone is low on storage space.
You haven't agreed to download the update over a cellular connection.
The best thing to do is connect to Wi-Fi so you can download without having to worry about possible cellular data charges. If you can't connect to Wi-Fi and want to update using cellular data, tap Download when prompted to download using cellular data.
You're having trouble connecting to a network.
Make sure that your phone has a good connection to the Internet. The best thing to do is connect to Wi-Fi so you can download without having to worry about possible cellular data charges. If you can't connect to Wi-Fi and want to update using cellular data, tap Download when prompted to download using cellular data.
There was a temporary issue with a server or your Internet connection during the update.
There was an error installing the update.
Restart your phone and try downloading the update again.
This isn't a comprehensive list of error codes. If you don't see an error code in this list, it may be that we're actively working to fix the problem and there's no action for you to take.