- Music + Videos Hub
- Playing music, videos and podcasts
- Sync music, pictures, and videos
- Getting music, videos and podcasts from Marketplace
- Music and video FAQ
- Listening to FM radio
- Deleting music, videos and podcasts
- Finding the Windows Live ID I used to create my Zune tag
- Creating a playlist
- Subscribing to podcasts
Getting music, videos and podcasts from Marketplace
Zune Marketplace is your one-stop shop for great music, podcasts, films , videos, TV programmes and more. Some things are free to play, download or sample. Other items are available to buy or rent.
There are two ways to access Zune Marketplace: from your phone and from your PC. Certain tasks, such as downloading films and TV programmes, must be done on your PC.
For the best music experience in Zune Marketplace, consider subscribing to an Xbox Music Pass. For a monthly fee, subscribers can download and stream an unlimited number of songs to their phone and PC.
To download or stream music directly to your phone
On Start, tap Music + Videos.
Flick to Zune, tap Marketplace, then tap Music.
Flick left or right, browse through the available genres, or tap Search and type a song title, album title or artist's name.
When you find the music you're looking for, tap it, then do one of the following:
- To buy and download a song or album, tap its price. (You can also tap and hold the item, then tap Buy.)
- To download a song or album without buying it, tap and hold it, then tap Download. (Xbox Music Pass subscription required.)
- To play a song or album without downloading it (that is, to stream it), press Play . (Xbox Music Pass subscription required to play entire songs.)
If you have an Xbox Music Pass, bear in mind that you can only play streaming music on one device at a time. In certain circumstances, Zune Marketplace might think you're still playing a stream on your phone when you've stopped playback and temporarily block you from playing streams on your PC. If you encounter this problem (sometimes identified as streaming error C101A9CA), play something on your phone that isn't streamed (for example, a song that you've ripped from a CD or bought from Zune Marketplace). Then go back to your PC and try playing the stream again.
To download an audio or video podcast on your phone
On Start, tap Marketplace, then tap Podcasts.
Flick left or right, browse through the available categories or tap Search and type the name of a podcast.
When you find the podcast you're looking for, tap it, then do one of the following:
- To read its description, flick to Overview.
- To download just one episode, tap and hold it, then tap Download.
- To subscribe to the series, tap Subscribe, choose the settings you'd like, then tap Confirm.
When you subscribe to a podcast series, new episodes download automatically while your phone is charging. By default, podcasts download over a WiFi connection. You can allow podcasts to be downloaded over your mobile data connection, but your mobile operator may charge you extra for data usage. To learn more, see Subscribing to podcasts.
To download music, podcasts, videos, films and TV programmes on your PC
On your PC, start the Zune software.
If you don't have it yet, see Installing the Zune software.
If you're not signed in, click Sign In.
If you have multiple Windows Live ID accounts, enter the one you used when you set up your phone.
To find an item, do one of the following:
- Click a category, such as Music, Videos or Podcasts, then browse the available items.
- In the Search box, enter what you're looking for (such as the name of a song, podcast or film).
Once you've found what you want, do one of the following:
- To buy and download a TV programme or music video, click it, then click Buy. For a song or album, click the price (shown in Microsoft Points). (If you can't see the price of a song or album and you're an Xbox Music Pass subscriber, right-click the item, then click Buy.)
- To download a song or album without buying it, click it, then click Download. (Xbox Music Pass subscription required.)
- To buy or rent a film, click it, then click Buy or Rent.
- To download a podcast, click it, then click Subscribe (or Download if you just want a single episode).
After the item has finished downloading to your PC, you can sync it with your phone. To learn more, see Synchronising music, pictures and videos .
- You won't be able to manage podcast subscriptions on your phone or watch video podcasts if your phone has 256 MB of RAM. To find out how much RAM your phone has, go to Settings > About.
- To learn more about Xbox Music Pass and see if it's available in your country or region, go to xbox.com.
- Subscribing to podcasts on your phone is not available in all locations or languages.
- Zune Marketplace is not available in all locations or languages. Zune Marketplace content also varies by market: not all items are available for purchase, rental, download or streaming. To learn more about using Zune Marketplace, go to Playing, adding and deleting media in your Zune collection.