- Touring the Windows Phone Store
- Getting apps from Windows Phone Store
- Deleting or reinstalling apps
- Downloading apps and games FAQ
- Games on your Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Getting suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Setting up the Facebook app
- Setting up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Using Speech on your phone
- Using Internet Explorer
- Changing privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Synchronising documents using your computer
- Synchronising documents with OneDrive
- Using OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scanning codes and text
- Using maps
- Getting directions
- Sharing apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and your phone
Use the directions feature in maps on Windows Phone to guide you to your destination. Whether you're driving, using public transport or walking, it shows the total distance and estimated travel time to help you plan ahead.
- This topic is about Windows Phone 8.1. If your phone is running Windows Phone 8, some options and icons may look a little different, and some features may not be available. Check to see which software version you have and find out if an update is available.
- You'll need a mobile data connection or a WiFi connection to use directions in maps. To learn more, see Connecting: how and when and Connecting to a WiFi network.
To get directions to an address or place
In the App list, tap Maps .
Tap Directions .
In both the Start and End fields, type one of the following:
- An address
- A restaurant, shop or other place name
For more info about searching for places, see Using maps.
- Tap Switch to reverse the starting and ending points for your trip.
- If you have location awareness turned on, maps will always assume that you want to start from your current location. To start from someplace else, tap My location and type another starting point.
Tap Go .
Tap Driving , Public transport or Walking , depending on how you plan to travel.
Do one of the following:
- Start your route, and your phone will automatically update your directions as you go.
- Tap Start voice nav to have your directions read aloud. (You may be asked to download an app before you can use this feature.)
- Tap Route steps for a full list of the steps needed to complete your route.
- If there's place that you visit a lot, consider adding it to your list of favourites. In Maps , press and hold the location to add a pushpin, tap the pushpin again, then tap Add .
- To change maps settings, in Maps , tap More > Settings. (If you use voice navigation to get directions, you can tap Set default voice navigation app to choose your preferred app.)
To see the places where public transport directions are available, see Bing Maps Public Transport Coverage.
To customise public transport directions
Windows Phone 8.1 can help you to catch the right bus at the right time with extra route and sorting options.
In Maps , tap Directions , fill in the Start and End fields, then tap Go .
Tap Public transport , then do any of the following:
- Tap Depart now, choose your route options (you can enter the time and date when you want to depart or arrive), then tap Done . Your public transport routes will update to reflect your new time/date preferences.
- Tap More > Sort by, then choose whether you want your public transport routes to be sorted by Time, Walking time or Fewest changes.
- Tap a public transport stop, then tap it again to view scheduled departure times. (Tap Pin to pin the public transport stop to Start for quick access.)
- Late bus? When viewing scheduled departure times for public transport, tap Scheduled times > Estimated times to see updated arrival info.
To see real-time traffic conditions
Your Windows Phone takes traffic into account to give you the fastest route to your destination, but you can also view traffic conditions for yourself.
In Maps , tap More > Show traffic. To stop showing traffic conditions, tap More > Hide traffic.
To download maps
You can download maps to your phone, so you can search for places, get directions and find your way around, even when you don’t have a data connection.
In Maps , tap More > Settings > Download maps, then tap Add . Follow the instructions to find the maps you want to download.
- Some maps are too big to download over a mobile data network, so it's a good idea to make sure you're connected to a WiFi network before you download any maps.
- To view the list of maps you’ve downloaded, tap Maps > More > Settings > Download maps.
- To delete a map from Download maps, tap Select, choose the maps you want to delete, then tap Delete .