- Signing in with a Microsoft account
- What is a Microsoft account?
- Creating a Microsoft account
- Changing a Microsoft account FAQ
- Which Microsoft account should I use?
- Protecting your Microsoft account
- Why is Microsoft texting me?
- Why do I need to go to a web page to add email?
- Setting up a Wallet PIN
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- Setting up or deleting a workplace account
- What is a workplace account?
- Payment methods for the Windows Phone Store
Payment methods for the Windows Phone Store
You have several payment options for app, music or video purchases on your Windows Phone:
- Credit cards, debit cards or prepaid credit cards
- Other online payment services, including (but not limited to) PayPal, Alipay and INICIS
- Microsoft gift cards
- Your mobile operator bill
Not all payment methods are available in all locales or for all Microsoft services.
Payment cards and online payment services
You can make changes to your payment methods either from your phone or on the web, including adding cards or an online payment service.
- On your phone, you can change your payment method before you buy an app. In the Store, choose an app you'd like to buy, tap Buy and on the Confirm purchase screen, tap Add or switch payment methods. From there you can switch to another payment method or add one. For more info, see Getting apps from the Windows Phone Store. (You can also change your payment method when buying music or videos. Tap Change before confirming your purchase. For more info, see Getting music, videos and podcasts.)
- On the web, go to Billing on the Microsoft account site. Click Payment options, then add, edit or delete any of the payment options. For more info, see Billing help on the Microsoft account site.
Microsoft gift cards
If someone has given you a Microsoft gift card to redeem content from Microsoft, like apps, games and music from the Windows Phone Store, Windows Store or Xbox Store, you can redeem it either from your Windows Phone or online through your Microsoft account.
- To redeem a gift card from your phone, in the App list, tap Wallet > Add > Add Microsoft gift card.
- To redeem a gift card online, go to Payment options on the Microsoft account site. Click Microsoft account > Redeem card, then follow the instructions.
Mobile operator billing
Some mobile operators allow you to make purchases from the Store using your mobile account or prepaid balance. If the option is available for you, it will be turned on by default the first time you buy an app. You can change the payment method at any time by tapping Buy, then tapping Add or switch payment methods on the Confirm purchase screen.
If you can't see your mobile operator in the list of payment methods, check the Mobile operator billing support list on MSDN to see if mobile operator billing is available in your locale. If it is available in your locale but you can't see it on your phone, try one of the following:
Make sure your phone's country/region is the same as that of your mobile operator. In the App list, tap Settings > Region to check. Tap Country/Region if you need to change it.
Ensure you're in an area with good data coverage (mobile or WiFi) and your phone is charged. (The best way to get this payment method to appear is to charge your phone fully while it has a good data connection.)
If you still can't see the mobile operator billing payment method, you may need to do the following:
Power down your phone, then remove the SIM card.
Power up the phone without the SIM card.
Wait a few minutes, then power down the phone again.
Insert the SIM card, then power up the phone.
Wait a few minutes and make sure your phone is charged and has a good mobile data connection.
In the Store, choose an app you'd like to buy, tap Buy and on the Confirm purchase screen, tap Add or switch payment methods.