Import contacts from my old phone
If you have contacts stored on an old phone, you can usually import them to your new phone. How you do it depends on the kind of phone you had. If your old phone uses a SIM card, you can often move it to your new phone to import your contacts. Depending on your mobile operator, your phone might not have a SIM card.
To figure out if you use a SIM card, remove the battery cover from the back of your phone and look for a card that looks like this:
Some phones use a standard-size SIM card, and some use a smaller "microSIM." If you're moving from a phone that uses one type to a phone that uses the other, talk to your mobile operator about options for moving your contacts over.
When you import contacts from a SIM card, they're automatically imported to your Microsoft account on your phone. They won't be deleted from the SIM card. If you haven't set up a Microsoft account, your contacts are saved to the phone's memory. If you set up a Microsoft account later on, the contacts on your phone will automatically be imported into it.
Interested in importing or syncing other stuff to your phone—like docs, music, or photos? See Sync my Windows Phone to learn how.
To import contacts from a SIM card
Put the SIM card containing your contacts into your new phone.
On Start , tap People .
Tap More , and then tap Settings.
Tap Import SIM contacts, and then do one of the following:
- To import all of the contacts on your SIM card, tap Import.
- If you want to select contacts to import individually, tap Clear, select the contacts you want to import, and then tap Import.
- If the Import SIM contacts button appears dimmed, it either means that the import is already in progress, or you don't have any contacts stored on your SIM card.
- To learn about importing contacts from other places—such as your computer or an online account—see Import contacts onto my new phone.
- You can save contacts from a SIM card to a Windows Phone, but you can't save contacts from a Windows Phone to a SIM card.
- To import SIM contacts individually, your phone must be running the latest version of the Windows Phone software (OS version 8.0.10211.204). See How do I update my phone software? for more information about how to update your phone.
To import contacts from a phone with no SIM card
If your old phone doesn't use a SIM card, don't worry—you'll still be able to get your contacts from your old phone to your new one. Different mobile operators have different ways of getting this done, so you'll need your mobile operator to help with the transfer. Check the company's website, call the support number, or visit a store for help.