- Music + Videos Hub
- Get music and podcasts from the Windows Phone Store
- Sync music, ringtones, and podcasts using my computer
- Syncing music FAQ
- Sync with my Mac
- Copy my iTunes music to my phone
- Play music, videos, and podcasts
- Music and videos FAQ
- Create a playlist
- Delete music, videos, and podcasts
- What song is this?
- Use Xbox Music on my phone
Play music, videos, and podcasts
Your Windows Phone isn't just a phone. It's also a great music and video player.
Listen to music while you surf the web or check your email, catch up on your favorite podcasts on your commute, or enjoy a movie while you're waiting around at the airport. There's no need to carry another device with you.
You don't even need to store music on your phone if you have an Xbox Music Pass—it gives you access to millions of songs that you can stream from the cloud. Windows Phone and Xbox Music have your entertainment needs covered.
To play music, videos, and podcasts
On Start , tap Music + Videos .
Flick to Collection, and then tap Music, Videos, or Podcasts.
Find the item you want to play by flicking left or right to different categories (such as Artists, Albums, or Songs).
Tap the item that you want to play.
If you need to adjust the volume, press the Volume Up or Volume Down button on the side of your phone.
- If you don't have music or podcasts on your phone yet, you can get music and podcasts from the Store.
- To quickly play all your music in random order, just tap Play music .
- If you have a lot of items in a category (such as Songs or Albums), there's a quick way to jump to a particular point in the list without a lot of scrolling. For example, let's say you're at the top of the Songs list (in the "a" section) and you want to play a song that starts with the letter "s." Tap the colored box with the letter "a" in it. In the grid of letters that appears, tap S.
To adjust playback
When you're playing a song, use the following controls to adjust playback. (Some controls aren't available for all media types, such as videos.)
Tap this To do this
Music: Tap to skip to the beginning of the current song or to skip to the previous song in the playlist. (The behavior depends on how much of the song you've played so far.)
Videos and audio podcasts: Tap to skip backward seven seconds.
All: Tap and hold to rewind the current item.
Music: Tap to skip to the next song in the playlist.
Videos and audio podcasts: Tap to skip forward 30 seconds.
All: Tap and hold to fast-forward the current item.
Tap to pause playback.
Music: Tap to play the current playlist repeatedly.
Music: Tap to play the items in the current playlist in random order.
- When you're playing songs or audio podcasts, you can also skip to the next and previous items in the playlist by flicking right or left.
- When you're playing videos, tap the screen to display the playback controls. Press the Back button to return to Music + Videos .
- Press the Volume Up or Volume Down button to show the mini playback controls.
To subscribe to a podcast
In the App list, tap Store , and then tap Podcasts. (If you don't see this option, podcasts probably aren't available in the Store in your region.)
To find a podcast to subscribe to, do one of the following:
- Flick left or right to browse through different categories.
- Tap Search , type the name of the podcast you're looking for, and then tap Enter .
Tap a podcast, flick left or right to learn more about it, and then tap Subscribe.
Change the download settings for the series if you'd like (you can change these later), and then tap Confirm.
To show the current playlist
When you're playing music, the next few items in the playlist are displayed under the album image. To see all items in the playlist, do the following:
Tap the name of the current song (beneath the album image).
To hide the playlist, wait a few seconds or press the Back button.
To play a different song in the playlist, flick up or down as necessary, and then tap the name of the item you want to play.
To show what's playing now
Do one of the following:
- Press the Volume Up or Volume Down button. The name of the current song is shown above the mini playback controls. This works even if your phone is locked.
- In Music + Videos , flick to History.
To show related info about an artist or album
In Music + Videos , to see more info when playing a song, do one of the following:
- For an artist, tap the artist name.
- For a specific album, tap More , then tap More in store.
Flick left or right to see information (when available), such as other albums by this artist, album reviews, and artist biographies.
To delete a song from your phone or SD card
Tap and hold a song, and then tap Delete.