- Where's the App list?
- Which version of Windows Phone do I have?
- Lock screen
- Setting alarms on your phone
- Copying and pasting
- Finding a lost phone
- Setting up Kid's Corner
- Setting up Windows Phone for kids
- Backup and storage
- Sharing things on your phone
- How do I update my phone software?
- Windows Phone 8 update history
- Using Speech on your phone
- Using your phone for work
- Tips to help keep your Windows Phone secure
- Switching between apps
- Accessibility on your phone
- Resetting your phone
- Making the most of your battery and data usage
- What do the icons on my phone mean?
- Privacy resources
- Feature and service availability
Recommended privacy settings FAQ
Recommended settings are designed to help make the phone setup process easy and fast, and also to provide the best possible overall customer experience on Windows Phones. You may choose to bypass the recommended settings and choose custom settings, which allow you to manage the setup process in more detail. The use of recommended settings provides a simple way for us to offer you a balance between ease of use and choice and control.
You will be provided two types of recommended settings as you begin using your phone. First, during your initial phone setup, we'll recommend settings that turn on the following:
- Mobile data connection
- Participation in the feedback programme
- Participation in the keyboard touch improvement programme
- Participation in the WiFi improvement programme
- Automatic downloads of operating system updates
Second, the first time you open Internet Explorer Mobile, we'll recommend settings that turn on the following:
- Data Sense (to help reduce your data usage, if this feature is available through your mobile operator)
- Sending browsing history (to help improve Bing services through aggregate analysis)
- SmartScreen Filter (to help protect against unsafe websites)
- Do Not Track requests (sent as you browse websites)
For more information about each of these settings, please review the Windows Phone 8 Privacy Statement. You can also find more information about each Internet Explorer setting at Internet Explorer privacy – Data Sense FAQ, Internet Explorer privacy – browsing history FAQ, Internet Explorer privacy – SmartScreen Filter FAQ and Internet Explorer privacy – Do Not Track requests FAQ.
Yes. You can change your settings at any time. Detailed instructions for changing the settings for each of the features are included in the Windows Phone 8 Privacy Statement. You can also find information about changing the Internet Explorer settings at Internet Explorer privacy – Data Sense FAQ, Internet Explorer privacy – browsing history FAQ, Internet Explorer privacy – SmartScreen Filter FAQ and Internet Explorer privacy – Do Not Track requests FAQ.