- Touring the Windows Phone Store
- Getting apps from Windows Phone Store
- Deleting or reinstalling apps
- Downloading apps and games FAQ
- How do I install apps from an SD card?
- Games on your Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Getting suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Setting up the Facebook app
- Setting up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Using Speech on your phone
- Using Internet Explorer
- Changing privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Synchronising documents using your computer
- Synchronising documents with OneDrive
- Using OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scanning codes and text
- Using maps
- Getting directions
- Sharing apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and your phone
How do I install apps from an SD card?
In addition to installing apps to your Windows Phone from the Store, you can transfer, or sideload, apps from an SD card to your phone (if your phone supports an SD card). To sideload an app or game, you'll need to have an SD card that contains one or more Windows Phone app files, also known as .XAP files. You can download .XAP files to your PC, then move the files to the phone's SD card.
To download .XAP files from the Windows Phone Store on the web
Open a web browser and go to www.windowsphone.com.
Click Apps + Games, then click the app you want to download.
Scroll down on the web page, then click Download and install manually (below the app requirements and supported languages).
When prompted, save the .XAP file to a location on your computer, SD card or storage device.
If you download the .XAP file to a location other than an SD card supported by your phone, you'll need to move or copy the file to an SD card to install it on your phone.
For information about moving or copying files using Windows Explorer (called File Explorer in some versions of Windows), go to the Windows website and search in the How-to section.
To install apps and games from your phone's SD card
Insert an SD card that contains one or more .XAP files into your phone.
In the App list, tap Store .
Tap More , then tap Install local apps. (If you're running an earlier version of Windows Phone, look for the SD card option instead.)
If you've just inserted the SD card or added the .XAP files, you might need to wait a few minutes before you can access your SD card from the Store.
Select the apps you want, then tap Install.
Installed apps appear in the App list. Depending on the specific app or game, you'll be able to use them as follows:
- Free apps and games can be used immediately.
- Paid apps and games that have a trial will be available as a trial version that you can purchase later.
- Paid apps and games without a trial must be purchased before you can use them.