Listen to FM radio
Did you know that you can use your Windows Phone to listen to FM radio? Tune in to your favorite station whenever the mood strikes you. Catch the news, or just get your groove on.
- This topic is about Windows Phone 8.1. If your phone is running Windows Phone 8, some options and icons may look a little different, and some features may not be available. Check to see which software version you have and find out if an update is available.
- If you don't have Windows Phone 8.1 installed, you can listen to FM radio in the Music + Videos Hub. On Start , tap Music + Videos . Swipe over to Collection and tap Radio.
- Depending on your mobile operator, phone model, and version of the Windows Phone operating system, FM Radio may not be available on your phone.
To listen to a station
Plug in your wired headphones (they double as an antenna).
From the App list, tap FM Radio .
To change stations, do one of the following:
- Swipe left or right over the station frequency, or tap Previous or Next . This will allow you to jump to stations with a strong signal.
- Slowly drag your finger left or right over the station frequency. This will allow you to "fine tune" to a specific frequency.
Tap Play or Pause to start or stop playback.
- When the screen is locked, press the Volume Upor Volume Down button to show the mini playback controls. You can use the controls to pause or resume the radio or to skip to the next or previous station.
- As you switch channels, you might see info about each station, such as its genre and what song or program is currently playing. It's up to each station to choose what they broadcast, so you might not see info for every station.
To add or remove a favorite station
To tune in to stations more quickly, try adding a few as favorites.
Tune in to a station.
Do one of the following:
- To add the station as a favorite, tap Add Favorite .
- To remove the station from favorites, tap Remove Favorite .
- To go to your favorites, tap Favorites .
To pin a station to start
Tune in to a station.
Tap More , then tap Pin to start.
To learn more, see Pin apps to Start.
To switch between speaker and headset modes
Tap More .
Tap Switch to speaker or Switch to headset to switch between modes.
To switch radio regions
If you travel internationally, you might need to switch the radio region setting to listen to FM radio when you're abroad. If you do change this setting, don't forget to switch it back to the original setting when you get home.
Tap More > Settings.
Tap the Region box, and then tap the region you want from the list.