- Connecting: how and when
- Types of connections
- Cellular and SIM settings
- Share my connection
- What's airplane mode?
- Use a dual SIM phone
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Find Wi-Fi hotspots
- Wi-Fi FAQ
- Use Wi-Fi Sense to get connected
- Wi-Fi Sense FAQ
- How do I opt my network out of Wi-Fi Sense?
- Pair my phone with a Bluetooth accessory
- Bluetooth FAQ
- Share files over Bluetooth
- What's data roaming?
- How can I minimize my data usage?
- Use Data Sense to manage data usage
- Use a VPN connection
- NFC on Windows Phone
- Tap to share photos, websites, and more
- Project my phone screen to a TV or PC
What's data roaming?
Data roaming means that your phone is using a cellular network that your mobile operator doesn't own to send and receive data. Your mobile operator might charge you extra for data roaming, and this service must be available with your current phone plan.
By default, your phone is set to the Don't roam option, but you can change this roaming setting at any time.
To change your data roaming setting
In the App list, tap Settings > Cellular+SIM.
Tap Data roaming options, and then choose one of the following:
- Don't roam – When you're in a roaming area, your cellular data connection will be turned off.
- Roam – When you're in a roaming area, your phone will continue to use its cellular data connection. (Your mobile operator might charge you extra when you're roaming.)
To learn more about data roaming options and other related cellular settings, see Cellular and SIM settings.
The options that appear for data roaming can vary by mobile operator. For example, in addition to Don't roam for Data roaming options, you might also see Domestic and Domestic+international. If you choose Domestic, you can use cellular data when your phone is roaming domestically. If you choose Domestic+international, you can use cellular data when roaming domestically or internationally.
- Try using a Wi-Fi connection instead of a cellular data connection to minimize cellular data usage when you're in a roaming area. For more info, see Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- You can help conserve cellular data when you're roaming by restricting background data. See Cellular and SIM settings and Use Data Sense to manage data usage to learn more.
- To learn how to forward calls to another number when you're roaming, see Calling options.
- For information about what you can do with data roaming turned off, check the details of your agreement with your mobile operator.