- Touring Windows Phone Store
- Get apps from Windows Phone Store
- Delete or reinstall apps
- Download apps and games FAQ
- How do I install apps from an SD card?
- Games on my Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Get suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Set up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Set up the Facebook app
- Set up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Use Speech on my phone
- Meet Cortana
- Start using Cortana
- What can I say to Cortana?
- Cortana's Notebook
- Cortana's settings
- Favorite places and Cortana
- Find music with Cortana
- My inner circle and Cortana
- Quiet hours and Cortana
- My interests and Cortana
- Remind me, Cortana
- Use Internet Explorer
- Change privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Sync documents using my computer
- Sync documents with OneDrive
- Use OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scan codes and text
- Use maps
- Get directions
- Location awareness and my phone
Set up the Facebook app
The Facebook app for Windows Phone lights up your phone with the people you care about and the posts and events you don't want to miss. Here's how to get up and running.
Facebook on Windows Phone 8.1
To use all of the Facebook for Windows Phone features on Windows Phone 8.1, you'll need to set up the latest version of the app on your phone. (Don't have Windows Phone 8.1? You'll find info about Facebook on Windows Phone 8 later in this topic. Check to see which software version you have and find out if an update is available.)
To set up the Facebook app on Windows Phone 8.1
First, make sure you have the latest Facebook app installed on your phone. If you have a new phone, the latest Facebook app may be preinstalled. If you've upgraded your phone from Windows Phone 8 to 8.1, you'll need to download the new app from the Store—even if you already had your Facebook account set up on your phone.
Once you've got the new app, just sign in to it to get started. On Start , swipe over to the App list, and then tap Facebook.
Enter the email address and password you use for Facebook, and then tap Log in. (Or tap Sign up for Facebook to create a Facebook account.)
On the Connect Facebook with your phone? screen, tap Connect to see Facebook info and updates around your phone. You can change this later in the Facebook app settings.
On the Use Facebook photos on your lock screen page, tap Configure or Not now.
Using Facebook on Windows Phone 8.1
If you tapped Connect on the Connect Facebook with your phone? screen when you first set up the Facebook app, you'll see Facebook updates and info in a few different places:
If you didn't connect Facebook when you first set up the app, you can do it anytime in the Facebook app settings.
- Go to People > What's new to see your friends' latest posts. Tap Showing to change what you see there, and tap a post to open it in the Facebook app and see details, comment, or like it.
- Go to People > Contacts, tap a Facebook friend, and swipe over to What's new to see the latest from that person's timeline. To go to their profile in the Facebook app, swipe over to Connect, then tap the Facebook Tile.
- Go to Calendar and then tap More > Settings to choose which types of Facebook events you'll see in your calendar.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen to see your Facebook notifications in action center.
- Post updates and check in right from the Me Card—go to People > Contacts and tap your profile picture. Tap More > Settings and select Facebook from one or both of the drop-down menus.
- Go to Photos , then tap Albums > Facebook to see your Facebook albums on your phone. To see your friends' photos and videos, use the Facebook app.
In Windows Phone 8.1, Facebook Chat is no longer available in the Windows Phone Messaging app. To chat on Facebook, use Messages in the Facebook app. You can pin Messages to Start to get to it more quickly. When you've got a new message, you'll get a heads-up on the Live Tile and in action center.
Facebook on Windows Phone 8
If you have a phone running Windows Phone 8, here's how to set up a Facebook account on your phone so you can view your friends' updates in the People Hub, use Facebook Chat, and more. If you want to use even more Facebook features on your phone, you can also download the Facebook app from the Windows Phone Store.
To set up your Facebook account on Windows Phone 8
In the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Email + accounts.
Tap Add an account > Facebook.
Tap the Email address box, and then type the email address that's associated with your Facebook account.
Tap the Password box, and then type your Facebook password.
Tap Sign in.
If you haven't linked your Facebook account to your Microsoft account, you'll be asked if you'd like to link them now. Tap Connect to link your accounts and turn on Facebook Chat.
To do even more with Facebook on your phone, download the Facebook for Windows Phone app from the Store.
To turn on Facebook Chat on Windows Phone 8
If you didn't turn on Facebook Chat when you initially set up your Facebook account, you can turn it on later in Settings. (Note: if you've set up the Facebook app to display toast notifications, turning on Facebook Chat might result in duplicate message notifications.)
In the App list, tap Settings .
Flick to Applications, and then tap Messaging.
Turn on Use Facebook Chat , and then tap Set up.
- To set up the Facebook app on your phone, you need a working cellular data connection or Wi-Fi connection. For more info, see Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Facebook may not be available in your country or region.