- Touring Windows Phone Store
- Get apps from Windows Phone Store
- Delete or reinstall apps
- Download apps and games FAQ
- Games on my Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Get suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Set up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Set up the Facebook app
- Set up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Use Speech on my phone
- Use Internet Explorer
- Change privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Sync documents using my computer
- Sync documents with OneDrive
- Use OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scan codes and text
- Use maps
- Get directions
- Share apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and my phone
Use the directions feature in maps on Windows Phone to guide you to your destination. Whether you're driving, using transit, or walking, it shows the total distance and estimated travel time to help you plan ahead.
- This topic is about Windows Phone 8.1. If your phone is running Windows Phone 8, some options and icons may look a little different, and some features may not be available. Check to see which software version you have and find out if an update is available.
- You'll need a cellular data connection or a Wi-Fi connection to use directions in maps. To learn more, see Connecting: how and when and Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
To get directions to an address or place
In the App list, tap Maps .
Tap Directions .
In both the Start and End fields, type one of the following:
- An address
- A restaurant, store, or other place name
For more info about searching for places, see Use maps.
- Tap Switch to reverse the starting and ending points for your trip.
- If you have location awareness turned on, maps will always assume that you want to start from your current location. To start from someplace else, tap My location and type another starting point.
Tap Go .
Tap Driving , Public transit , or Walking , depending on how you plan to travel.
Do one of the following:
- Start your route, and your phone will automatically update your directions as you go.
- Tap Start voice nav to have your directions read aloud. (You may be asked to download an app before you can use this feature.)
- Tap Route steps for a full list of the steps needed to complete your route.
- If there's place that you visit a lot, consider adding it to your list of favorites. In Maps , press and hold the location to add a pushpin, tap the pushpin again, and then tap Add .
- To change maps settings, in Maps , tap More > Settings. (If you use voice navigation to get directions, you can tap Set default voice navigation app to choose your preferred app.)
To see the places where transit directions are available, see Bing Maps Transit Coverage.
To customize transit directions
Windows Phone 8.1 can help you catch the right bus at the right time with extra route and sorting options.
In Maps , tap Directions , fill out the Start and End fields, and then tap Go .
Tap Public transit , and then do any of the following:
- Tap Depart now, choose your route options (you can enter the time and date you want to depart or arrive), and then tap Done . Your transit routes will update to reflect your new time/date preferences.
- Tap More > Sort by, and then choose whether you want your transit routes to be sorted by Time, Walking time, or Fewest transfers.
- Tap a transit stop, then tap it again to view scheduled departure times. (Tap Pin to pin the transit stop to Start for quick access.)
- Late bus? When viewing scheduled departure times for transit, tap Scheduled times > Estimated times to see updated arrival info.
To see real-time traffic conditions
Your Windows Phone takes traffic into account to give you the fastest route to your destination, but you can also view traffic conditions for yourself.
In Maps , tap More > Show traffic. To stop showing traffic conditions, tap More > Hide traffic.
To download maps
You can download maps to your phone, so you can search for places, get directions, and find your way around, even when you don’t have a data connection.
In Maps , tap More > Settings > Download maps, and then tap Add . Follow the instructions to find the maps you want to download.
- Some maps are too big to download over a cellular data network, so it's a good idea to make sure you're connected to a Wi-Fi network before you download any maps.
- To view the list of maps you’ve downloaded, tap Maps > More > Settings > Download maps.
- To delete a map from Download maps, tap Select, choose the maps you want to delete, and then tap Delete .