- Touring Windows Phone Store
- Get apps from Windows Phone Store
- Delete or reinstall apps
- Download apps and games FAQ
- Games on my Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Get suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Set up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Set up the Facebook app
- Set up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Use Speech on my phone
- Use Internet Explorer
- Change privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Sync documents using my computer
- Sync documents with OneDrive
- Use OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scan codes and text
- Use maps
- Get directions
- Share apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and my phone
Change privacy and other browser settings
Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Phone makes it easy to change privacy settings on your phone for the browsing experience you want.
To change basic Internet Explorer settings
In Internet Explorer, tap More > Settings.
Change any of the following settings:
- Under Website preference, select Mobile version or Desktop version to set which version of a website you'd prefer to see.
- Under Use address bar button for, select Favorites or Tabs to set what the address bar button does. The choice you don't select will be available when you're browsing in Internet Explorer, under More . (You can also select Stop/refresh for the address bar button in Windows Phone 8.)
- Tap Delete history to erase browser history, cookies, saved passwords, and temporary Internet files from your phone and any of your devices currently syncing Internet Explorer settings.
The Data Sense savings setting will appear, but will have no effect because the service that was used to compress web pages is no longer available. Regardless of what you select for this setting, web pages won't be sent to the Data Sense service and compressed. To learn more about Data Sense, see Use Data Sense to manage data usage.
To change advanced Internet Explorer settings
In Internet Explorer, tap More > Settings, and then tap Advanced settings. (You can also access Internet Explorer's settings through Settings in the App list.)
Change any of the following settings:
- Turn on Allow access to my location to be notified when a site requests your location.
- Select Get suggestions from Bing as I type if you want to allow Bing search to suggest websites as you type into the address bar—potentially a big time saver.
- Select Show pictures automatically if you want Internet Explorer to automatically display the pictures on webpages you open. Turning off this setting might help reduce your phone's data usage. (This feature is not available on all Windows Phones.)
- Select Send browsing history to improve and (where available) personalize services (called Send browsing history to Microsoft to help improve Bing services on Windows Phone 8) if you want to help improve Microsoft services and personalize experiences on your phone.
- Select Use SmartScreen Filter to help protect against unsafe websites if you want to be warned about websites that have been reported to Microsoft as unsafe or suspicious.
- Select Send a Do Not Track request to websites you visit to signal to websites that you don't want your browsing to be tracked. (Even though you've expressed this preference, websites may continue to engage in activities you might view as tracking. This depends on specific websites' practices.)
- In Reading view preview, you can see what the current reading view settings will look like when they're applied to a website. Use the Reading view font size slider to change the text size. Under Reading view style, select Bright, Medium, Light, or Dark depending on your preferences for reading text-heavy web pages. (This feature isn't available on all Windows Phones.)
- (Windows Phone 8 only) Under Open links from other apps in, select A new tab to open pages in their own tabs or The current tab to continue browsing in the same tab after you tap a link.
- Under Website passwords, select Remember, Don't remember, or Ask each time to define how Internet Explorer will handle passwords you enter into websites. (This feature isn't available on all Windows Phones.)
- Under Website file storage, select Allow sites to store files on my phone to allow websites to store things like in-progress emails or RSS feeds in your phone's storage. Tap Manage storage if you need to free up some storage space.
- (Windows Phone 8 only) Under Default search provider, select Bing or Google as your default search engine. (This feature isn't available on all Windows Phones.)