- Touring Windows Phone Store
- Get apps from Windows Phone Store
- Delete or reinstall apps
- Download apps and games FAQ
- How do I install apps from an SD card?
- Games on my Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Get suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Set up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Set up the Facebook app
- Set up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Use Speech on my phone
- Meet Cortana
- Start using Cortana
- What can I say to Cortana?
- Cortana's Notebook
- Cortana's settings
- Favorite places and Cortana
- Find music with Cortana
- My inner circle and Cortana
- Quiet hours and Cortana
- My interests and Cortana
- Remind me, Cortana
- Use Internet Explorer
- Change privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Sync documents using my computer
- Sync documents with OneDrive
- Use OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scan codes and text
- Use maps
- Get directions
- Location awareness and my phone
How do I install apps from an SD card?
In addition to installing apps to your Windows Phone from the Store, you can transfer, or sideload, apps from an SD card to your phone (if your phone supports an SD card). To sideload an app or game, you'll need to have an SD card that contains one or more Windows Phone app files, also known as .XAP files. You can download .XAP files to your PC, and then move the files to the phone's SD card.
To download .XAP files from the Windows Phone Store on the web
Open a web browser and go to www.windowsphone.com.
Click Apps + Games, and then click the app you want to download.
Scroll down on the webpage, and then click Download and install manually (below the app requirements and supported languages).
When prompted, save the .XAP file to a location on your computer, SD card, or storage device.
If you download the .XAP file to a location other than an SD card supported by your phone, you'll need to move or copy the file to an SD card to install it on your phone.
For information about moving or copying files using Windows Explorer (called File Explorer in some versions of Windows), go to the Windows website and search in the How-to section.
To install apps and games from your phone's SD card
Insert an SD card that contains one or more .XAP files into your phone.
In the App list, tap Store .
Tap More, and then tap Install local apps. (If you're running an earlier version of Windows Phone, look for the SD card option instead.)
If you've just inserted the SD card or added the .XAP files, you might need to wait a few minutes before you can access your SD card from the Store.
Select the apps you want, and then tap Install.
Installed apps appear in the App list. Depending on the specific app or game, you'll be able to use them as follows:
- Free apps and games can be used immediately.
- Paid apps and games that have a trial will be available as a trial version that you can purchase later.
- Paid apps and games without a trial must be purchased before you can use them.