- Touring the Windows Phone Store
- Getting apps from Windows Phone Store
- Deleting or reinstalling apps
- Downloading apps and games FAQ
- How do I install apps from an SD card?
- Games on your Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Getting suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Setting up the Facebook app
- Setting up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Using Speech on your phone
- Using Internet Explorer
- Changing privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Synchronising documents using your computer
- Synchronising documents with OneDrive
- Using OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scanning codes and text
- Using maps
- Getting directions
- Sharing apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and your phone
Solutions to Store issues
If you receive an error related to payment when making a purchase in the Windows Phone Store, you may be able to fix the problem by changing or updating the payment method associated with your Microsoft account. For example, if the billing address, expiry date or security code for your credit card have changed, you'll need to update your Microsoft account to reflect the change. To manage the credit card associated with your Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft commerce website, sign in and click Payment options.
The billing address country of the credit card must match the country or region of your phone.
If you've recently set up a new payment method and you're receiving a payment error, you'll want to make sure that you're using an approved payment method. You can use Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover cards to buy apps. Pre-paid cards and gift cards (even those with a Visa or MasterCard logo) are not currently accepted by the Windows Phone Store. If you aren't sure what type of card you have, or if you're still having issues, try contacting your bank to find out more.
For information about payment methods, see Payment methods for the Windows Phone Store.
For information about removing a payment method associated with your Microsoft account, see the Wallet FAQ.
You may not be able to download some apps and games if a parent has set up My Family. To unblock purchases, a parent can change My Family settings for your phone. For more information, see Setting up My Family for Windows Phone.
If your phone supports an SD card, the best way to clear some space is by moving media from your phone's internal storage to the SD card. And if you're running Windows Phone 8.1, you can even install apps and games directly to your SD card. To learn more, see Using an SD card to add space.
You can also move content from your phone to your computer and delete apps and games that you don't use very often. Once you've purchased an app or game, you can delete and reinstall it as often as you like.
If you're having problems with a specific app or game, the best thing to do is contact the publisher of the app. Contact info is often available within the app itself (look for Settings or About). You can also find general info about the publisher in the Store . From the app's Overview page, swipe over to Details.
Another way to contact the publisher is to leave a review for the app. In the App list, tap and hold the app, then tap rate and review.
Here are some other things you can try:
- Close the app, then open it again. To learn how to close an app, see Switching between apps.
- Restart your phone. Hold the Power button until you see Slide down to power off, then swipe down. After it's off, press the Power button to turn on your phone again.
- Check for app updates. If your phone is running Windows Phone 8.1, updates should install automatically. To learn more, see Downloading apps and games FAQ. If your phone is running an earlier version of the Windows Phone software, in the Store , tap Updates, then tap Update all.
- Uninstall, then reinstall the app. To uninstall an app, in the App list, tap and hold the app, then tap Uninstall. After it finishes uninstalling, you can download it again from the Store.