- Windows Phone 7.8
- Windows Phone tips + tricks
- Windows Live ID
- Recommended settings in phone setup
- Starting from the beginning
- Getting connected
- Account setup
- Ringtones, sounds and volume
- Adding or creating ringtones
- Gestures: flick, pan and stretch
- The three buttons: Back, Start and Search
- Changing the accent colour or background theme
Signing in with a Windows Live ID
To get apps on Marketplace, play Xbox LIVE games, use a Zune Music Pass, get Twitter and LinkedIn on your phone, use Facebook chat and more, you need to sign in to your phone with a Windows Live ID (also called a Microsoft account).
You can sign in when you first set up your phone or you can sign in later.
If you have more than one Windows Live ID, you'll need to decide which is the best one to use as the primary ID on your phone. For help deciding, go to Which Windows Live ID should I use?
If you don't have one, we'll help you create one.
If you've set up two-step verification for your Microsoft account and you have questions about how to sign in to your Windows Phone, see Application passwords and two-step verification for answers.
To sign in when you first set up your phone
Follow the directions on your phone until you get to the Windows Live ID screen.
Do one of the following:
- If you already have a Windows Live ID, press Sign in, then follow the instructions.
- If you don't have a Windows Live ID yet, press Create one, then follow the instructions.
To sign in after you've already set up your phone
From Start, flick left to the Applications list, press Settings and then press Email + accounts.
Press Add an account > Windows Live. The Before you sign in screen appears.
Press Next, press the Email address box and then type your Windows Live ID.
Press the Password box and then type your Windows Live password.
Press Sign in.
Your Windows Live email, contacts, calendar, photos and feeds will be synchronised to your phone.
To reset your password or get a reminder, go to http://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx.