- Signing in with a Microsoft account
- What is a Microsoft account?
- Creating a Microsoft account
- Changing a Microsoft account FAQ
- Which Microsoft account should I use?
- Protecting your Microsoft account
- Why is Microsoft texting me?
- Why do I need to go to a web page to add email?
- Setting up a Wallet PIN
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- Setting up or deleting a workplace account
- What is a workplace account?
- Payment methods for the Windows Phone Store
Signing in with a Microsoft account
To get the most out of your Windows Phone, sign in with a Microsoft account. Only with a Microsoft account can you get apps in the Windows Phone Store, get your Xbox gamerscore and avatar, use Xbox Music or Xbox Video, get Twitter and LinkedIn feeds in your People Hub, use Facebook chat and back up your phone's apps and settings.
You can sign in with a Microsoft account when you set up your phone, or later on.
Before you sign in for the first time...
Look through the list below and make sure you're signing in with the Microsoft account that you want to use on your phone. If you decide to sign in with a different one later, you'll need to reset your phone to its factory settings, and you'll lose any apps and any files that you haven't backed up. For more information, see Changing a Microsoft account FAQ.
- Not sure if you have a Microsoft account? If you sign in to Xbox, Windows 8, Outlook.com or another Microsoft service, you may already have one. See What is a Microsoft account? for more info.
- Have more than one Microsoft account? The Choose a Microsoft account wizard can help you decide which is the best one to use on your phone. (This wizard is available in US English only.) You can also see Which Microsoft account should I use? for more info.
- Don't have a Microsoft account? See Creating a Microsoft account to find out how to create one.
To sign in when you set up your phone
Follow the setup instructions on your phone until you get to the Keep your life in sync screen.
Tap Sign in, then follow the instructions.
To learn about ways you can help keep your information secure, see Protecting your Microsoft account.
To sign in after your phone is set up
In the App list, tap Settings > Email + accounts.
Tap Add an account > Microsoft account.
On the Keep your life in sync screen, tap Sign in, and follow the instructions to set up the account.
- When you add a Microsoft account, your emails, contacts, and calendar are automatically synchronised to your phone.
- To reset your Microsoft account password, go to the Reset your password page.
- After updating from Windows Phone 8 to Windows Phone 8.1, you'll need to enter some of your account info again. If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, you'll need to sign in to your phone again. Follow the instructions to have an access code sent to the mobile number or email address you have on file. If you have additional Microsoft email accounts set up on your phone, you'll need to sign in to those again, too.