- Touring the Windows Phone Store
- Getting apps from Windows Phone Store
- Deleting or reinstalling apps
- Downloading apps and games FAQ
- How do I install apps from an SD card?
- Games on your Windows Phone
- Where's the App list?
- Solutions to Store issues
- What suggestions will I see on my Windows Phone 8?
- Getting suggestions in the Store FAQ
- How can I tell if an app has requirements?
- Which apps can I use to sync with my computer?
- Tips for using the Windows Phone app
- Setting up My Family for Windows Phone
- My Family FAQ
- Setting up the Facebook app
- Setting up a Twitter or LinkedIn account
- Using Speech on your phone
- Using Internet Explorer
- Changing privacy and other browser settings
- Office Hub
- Synchronising documents using your computer
- Synchronising documents with OneDrive
- Using OneNote Mobile
- Wallet FAQ
- Scanning codes and text
- Using maps
- Getting directions
- Sharing apps with Apps Corner
- Location awareness and your phone
Getting apps from Windows Phone Store
You'll find apps and games by the thousands in the Windows Phone Store – Microsoft's virtual entertainment shop for your phone. Many apps are totally free, and others let you try before you buy.
You can shop the Store from your phone or via the web – even from your Mac or tablet.
- This topic is about Windows Phone 8.1. If your phone is running Windows Phone 8, some options and icons may look different, and some features may not be available. Check to see which software version you have and find out if an update is available.
- To get music, videos and podcasts, in the App list tap Music, Video or Podcasts.
To shop from your phone
This is the most convenient way to buy apps or games – on your phone.
Pan down to browse featured apps or games, or swipe over to browse other collections and categories. If you know what you're looking for, you can also tap Search . When you find an app or game you want, tap it.
Once you've tapped an app or game, on Overview, pan down to see screenshots. Swipe over to see customer reviews, details and related apps. Tap Share (or More > Share) to send someone a link to the app or game.
If an app or game is free, tap Install to download it. Otherwise:
- Tap Buy to pay for it (you'll be prompted twice).
- Tap Try to download a free trial version (if available).
Depending on your mobile operator, app and game purchases may be added to your phone bill. To pay with a credit card instead, after tapping Buy, on the Confirm purchase screen, tap Add or switch payment methods. From there, you can switch to another payment method or add a new one. For a list of mobile operators that support mobile operator billing in each country, see Mobile operator billing on Windows Phone Dev Centre.
Look in the App list for new apps or games you've bought. (It might take several minutes for an app or game to finish downloading.)
To shop using your web browser
Don't have your phone handy? You can shop for apps and games from just about any web browser, including Safari on your Mac or iPad. Any apps or games you buy from the web Store can be installed straight away, without connecting your phone to your computer.
Open a web browser and go to www.windowsphone.com.
If you aren't already signed in with your Microsoft account, point to My Phone in the top-right corner, then click Sign in.
Make sure that you sign in with the same Microsoft account as you use on your phone.
Click Apps+Games. Browse by category, or search for an app or game by name or keyword. When you find an app or game you want, click it.
If an app or game is free, click Install to get it. Otherwise:
- Click Buy to purchase it.
- Click Try to get a free trial version (if available).
If prompted, sign in with your Microsoft account again.
If prompted, choose an app delivery method, then follow the steps to complete your purchase. You'll find your new app or game in the App list.
- Some apps and features won't work on phones with less than 1 GB of RAM. To see how much memory your phone has, check the manufacturer's website or your phone's documentation.
- Windows Phone Store may not be available in your country or region.